As students, we are all too familiar with the expenses that come with college life. From textbooks to groceries, the bills can pile up and leave us without much wiggle room to spend on dating- a serious problem when you're meeting so many new people. But frugality doesn't necessarily make for a boring time and there are plenty of creative options that both you and your significant other will love! So without further ado, here are 10 dates for under $10!
1. Go on a hike.
Santa Barbara is one one of the most beautiful campuses in the world and can boast both mountain and ocean trails! Grab two $5 foot longs from Subway, or make your own sandwiches, and take them along for a picnic after exploring what nature has to offer. Be sure to bring plenty of water and a blanket to sit on!
2. Buy a complicated puzzle and spend a lazy night in putting the whole thing together with your date. Not only is this an interactive way to get to know each other, but also can be done in the comfort of your home!
3. Take turns planning a themed date night. Feeling romantic? Go French! Buy a cheap bottle of wine or sparkling cider, a baguette, and some cheese and have a relaxing picnic on the beach or in a park. Want to impress your date and laugh over some cheesy dance moves? Make some Cuban food and learn how to salsa off of youtube or from a friend. The possibilities are endless and can effortlessly lead on to future dates when you bring up what your next ethnic adventure will be!
4. Rent a scary movie from the library or neighborhood video store and spend some quality time dressed in pajamas and screaming in tandem! By staying in and renting a film, you cut the cost of the evening by at least a half (think of how expensive the tickets, popcorn, and drinks are!) and can watch nestled on the couch in each other's arms. Be sure to use the leftover money to buy a pint of ice cream to share!
5. Visit the local Farmer's Market and limit yourself to a $10 budget. Challenge each other to find the freshest and most exotic produce, then use them to cook up a delicious dinner for two!
6. Go rock climbing at your local gym. If you're fortunate to have an awesome recreation center like the one at UCSB, this date would be free! Feel your relationship grow as you scale walls and live it up on endorphins!
7. Volunteer together. There are a huge amount of charities that go to great causes. Whether it be a homeless shelter or ecosystem renewal program, volunteering and spending quality time to accomplish feel-good tasks will always make for a fantastic date!
8. Go on a sweet date to a candy store and pick out $10 worth of your favorite candies from your childhood, then feast on them together!
9. Go to a museum and explore your favorite exhibits. Not only are museums chock full of interesting facts and displays, they often offer a discount to students. Make sure to bring your identification card and an open mind!
10. Grab some fresh air and go on a bike ride around some of your favorite routes. End the date with a trip to the local ice cream shop to cool off.